Wednesday, July 24, 2013

The day I made my Parent's proud of me


It was the first half of the year 2010. The night before that day I informed my parents that I won't be having dinner at home. I had plans to have dinner outside but later the plan got cancelled. I reached home but by then my parents had already taken their dinner and there was nothing for me. I had a few biscuits and slept with hunger. The next morning I woke up and got a call from Ankit and he asked if I would like to accompany him to Guwahati Medical College & Hospital. Without much thinking I agreed and as usual I forgot to ask him the reason of him visit. I had a cup of tea and got dressed to accompany him. On the way while I was in the pillion I asked him the reason of his visit. He said me that there was a girl admitted there, whose mother who worked as a sweeper in his mother's school and she needed blood urgently. So he rushed there. After reaching there I got to know that blood donor's were asking 3000 bucks for a bottle which was almost a month's salary of that lady. With no thinking I got ready for blood donation. I am sure any man on my stand then would not have had the guts to give a second thought to such a situation. I wasn't even eighteen then, I was in my mid seventeen's. As I got inside the donation room,

Doctor - "What's your age?"

Me - "Madam nineteen" (she stared at my face for a while then probably assumed I was speaking the truth)

Doctor - "When did you have your last meal?"

Me - "Madam one hour back, I had a plate of rice and potato fries with dal." (Although there was a rat race running inside my stomach I had to lie or else I would be sent back.)

Doctor - "Is this the first time you are donating blood?"

Me - "No madam I did once earlier." (I was damn scared to lie at that hour as it was my first time and I was empty stomach; I remember praying God that somehow he saves me from fainting)

After these few formality questions the lady directed the nurse to take me to the chair. I was asked to be comfortable and stretch my arm. She did the formalities and very soon I could see blood flow in the vessel. I grasped some air of peace but it wasn't for long. My father called me up.

Father - "Where are you?"

Me - "Papa, in Dona Planet. I am having Pizza here."

Father - "Come to Christian Basti, I am here. I want you to meet a close friend of mine."

I stared towards Ankit and he stared towards me. It was the first time for both of us. While we both were trying to console each other that everything would be fine, the nurse repeatedly asked us not to worry.

Finally it was over. I got two Parle-G biscuits and one Mango Frooti from the hospital. I met the mother of that girl and a few more relatives. Her face is still clear in my memory. I can't forgot how she was crying and in midst of her tears she was thanking us with folded hands. I was speechless and stayed dumb. I got emotional. I remember Ankit consoling her that everything would be alright and he also added that if further they required any help, they shouldn't hesitate to call us.

After an hour I met my father. he saw Ankit's wrist and asked to whom did he donate blood? He could make out that with a small band-aid thats been attached after someone donates blood. Luckily I could cover my wrist as I had worn full sleeves.

After everything was over, I had two rotis and a plate of Butter Chicken at Biryani House, Maligaon with Ankit. I counted at finger tips and it was after 29 hours I was having something. I returned home and didn't mention anything neither to my father nor to my mother.

After a week, just before sleeping I said everything to my father and mother. My father smiled and he said "Good Job" and even my mother smiled. That was the day I made them proud.

Later Ankit informed me that the girl was saved. When I got that news I felt like I did something for my society. I was even more flattered because for the first time I had done something which could made me stand with pride in front of my own eyes. That day i promised myself that if blood could save any body's life than I would be the first one to donate it. After that I have been donating blood regularly with four-five months interval.

No comments:

Post a Comment