Monday, March 23, 2015

What made me happy..

“Thank you, thank you so much.." she walked towards me to grab my feet as a mark of appraisal for saving her daughter's life.

"Please don't do this. You are of my mothers age and I am not an exception. Anybody would have volunteered to donate blood to your daughter at such a stage of emergency" as I said consoling the lady sweeper who has in great tension searching blood donors for her daughter who was severely sick.

"No Sir, nobody had arrived before you and your friend volunteered. I had approached many people but was turned down every time. They didn't think that blood donation to be safe. Or rather they would not have felt reluctant to donate if my daughter would have been born in a family who belongs to the upper strata of the society" she said rubbing the roll of tears from her eyes.

"You mustn't be disheartened. Please feel free to call us. We will be there with more donors if it is necessary."

I  left the place with thoughts of the society's reluctance to donate blood to a needy person. I was disheartened to find out the greed of certain donors when they were asked to donate blood at such an hour of need. I was not accustomed to such moments and the reply of such selfish people made me more furious.

I was suddenly delighted with something. I found it hard to find. I hadn't had any food for the last 24 hours and I lied to the doctor regarding my last meal and my correct age. I was feeling happy. I thought for a while. As my friend rushed the scooty in midst city traffic to get something to eat, I grabbed a half liter bottle of Coca-Cola and started wondering in thoughts. I finally realized that it was the smile in the helpless lady's lips that made me happy. I realized that my happiness was in a helping someone really needy. I figured out that blood donation was something that really made me happy.

Two days later I got a call. The little girl to whom I had donated blood was really deteriorating. The doctors gave their heart and soul. The blood which was donated by me and my friend was infection free and was injected into the body of that young girl. She started to improve eventually. It felt great after saving the life of that young girl.

My friend called me up, “We never visit temples but I feel today I am blessed. We have done a great job.”

“Yes brother. We have done a good job and let us do it again and again. Let us serve humanity till our end” as I said.

It was the first time when I donated blood and I was underage. Since then I have donated blood for a total of sixteen times. I have realized a zenith of happiness every time I donated blood.


No comments:

Post a Comment