Sunday, January 29, 2017

Life's best lesson

The night before I didn't have my dinner. I woke up late on that day. I left home without any breakfast. I sat on my friends pillion. We left for breakfast at our old joint, but we couldn't due to an interrupted call.
 
He asked me if I could volunteer for blood donation. I instantly agreed, although I was six months less than the permissible age. My friend rushed to the hospital. While climbing the stairs I asked him who was unwell so as to find out if it any any of his kin. He disclosed that it was none from his kin but a lady who worked as a helper in the school where his mom was the Principal. We rushed to the ward and found a young girl in her early teens lying on the bed. We found out that she had severe haemaglobin shortage and needed blood urgently. Donors were asking for fifteen hundred bucks and the lady's salary was such that she could pay only for two such donors and she needed more. She managed a few donors from her known relatives. We immediately volunteered. The lady and one of her relative rushed to touch our feet, but we asked them not to do so as we were younger than them. We rushed to the room where there was some pre-donation inspection by a doctor.
 
"How old are you guys?" asked a lady doctor.
 
"Nineteen," my friend replied.
     
"Me too," I lied instantly.
 
"Did you guys have breakfast?"
 
"Yeah, we had had rice for our breakfast," I replied.
 
After our blood pressure check we were taken to the room. We were asked to take rest on adjacent chairs.
 
"Are you seriously nineteen?" I asked my friend.
 
He laughed and replied, "I have two months left to be eighteen."
 
"I have six months left," I added.
 
After our blood donation was complete, we visited the lady and said her that few of our friends would volunteer the next day. We were welcomed by a smile of relief from a helpless mother. We were contended.
 
With empty belly's we headed to a food joint. We emptied our purse and ordered for three chapatis and 1 butter chicken. We were allowed credit for some more as the manager was one of our close acquintances.
 
We broke a lot of rules hat day. We rode a two wheeler without any proper driving license and helmets. We donated blood even when we were not allowed too. We lied to the doctor which could have been fatal for our health. Things didn't go in vain. We got the good news a week later, when the lady called to inform us that the girl who had very less chances of survival as per the doctor was out of danger now. We saved a live.
 
The lesson we got is that we should never step away from helping someone because it could even save someone's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment